Thursday, November 14, 2013

Peace & Love & OPI Gelcolor

After my last post, we had the first snow of the season...and the day after  that was the sunniest day in a while, so I finally got to take a lot of pictures of my "Peace & Love & OPI" Gelcolor!

There are quite a lot of pictures to just show you ONE polish.  But this polish is that amazing; it can look like 10 different polishes in the right lights.  Sometimes, metallics in Gelcolor version are not as amazing as their regular nail polish versions, because they create more depth rather than looking like a foil on your nails, as RNP does.  Luckily this polish is amazing any way you apply it!

You see, in some lights, the dark steely-grey metallic base predominates:

And then in some the polish my reflects mostly forest green metallic:

Or mostly hazy purple metallic:

In some lights, you may get the teeeeensiest hint of  interplay of purple and green reflects above that steel grey base:


In other lights, it looks like a neat transitional fade (like an ombre look, almost) between green and purple:


And then in some lights....well.  It kind of looks like Harley Quinn and the Joker had a baby on my nails and IT IS AWESOME:

If I had to sum up the color, I'd say it was a highly-metallic dark grey base with purple and green reflects.  The size of the reflect glitter/shimmer is varied slightly, so that you can get little intermixed sparkles of silver, green or purple in most lights, for example on the sidewalls of my nail, outside of the main "stripe" of direct sunlight here:  


The beauty of this gel polish is that it looks different depending on your lighting and your angle in relation to it, and I find that multi-source lighting is the best to bring out both shifts at once--lighting like you would have in the grocery store, in an office building or anything like that. 

The formula of this gel polish is pretty good, too, as usual for OPI Gelcolors.  I used three coats, but you may be able to get away with two depending on your nails--I needed some extra strength, because as you can see my nails are not quite uniform at the moment, and I need to grow them out!  Since it is a metallic, you can see brush strokes in nearly all of my pictures.  Of course you can also see those in real life, too, but the color shift of the gel and the shininess inherent in all gels is so distracting that I don't even care!

No comments:

Post a Comment