Saturday, August 23, 2014

Gelaze "Orange Knockout"

Hi again!

I've been thinking a lot about fall and HALLOWEEN (yay!) already...crazy, I know, right?  But I didn't want to let go of the brights I've been wearing a lot this summer just yet, so I pulled out this color from China Glaze Gelaze called "Orange Knockout".  It's a perfect neon, but it still allows me to think about orange glowing jack-o'-lanterns.



These two pictures are in direct sunlight and indirect, by the way...and it is kind of a knockout, isn't it?  It even tried to knock the senses out of my camera when I tried to take a flash picture!


Anyway, down to the facts: China Glaze Gelaze "Orange Knockout" is a traffic-cone orange creme color.  If I had to get into particulars, I'd say this orange is a little more red-based, but because it's such a bright color, it looks pretty middle-of-the-line between red and yellow at some points.  And like a true neon, it definitely glows in a lot of lighting situations!

I used 4 coats for this manicure, although I'm really not sure  why.  At 3 coats, "Orange Knockout" was perfectly even, but looked just a tad sheer--I layered on a 4th coat hoping that would solve the last bit of sheerness, but it actually provided no noticeable difference.  The funny thing is, once my manicure was finished and I went outside, I didn't see any of the visible nail line that I saw before, either!  The glowing neon quality really masked the nail line a lot of the time, although in indoor lighting it still stuck out.  I tried to capture  the visible nail line with an indoor, no flash shot here:


You can see it especially on my pinky and middle finger, if you look close--I felt it looked a little more apparent in real life than it does in any picture, though. 

The formula of  Gelaze "Orange Knockout" did shrink a little for the first coat, but that was easily solved by only capping the edges of my nails and curing them before applying the next coat.

And to be totally honest with you, your mileage may vary with this gel!  I was painting my nails in a hurry, so I may not have mixed up the gel polish in the bottle as much as I should have, leading to an improperly mixed formula that may have caused my little issues.  I also had a little bit of decreased wear time--around 7 days--but hey, I was also trying to crochet and knit up a storm. :)

2 comments:

  1. Lovely colour!

    I'm not a fan of the formula. I've only tried Flip Flop Fantasy so far but I have another 3 in my stash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the formula isn't my favorite, but it's not my least favorite, either. I'm still contemplating on how to best apply this brand of gel polish (should I shake well? Keep it cold? Apply my usual base coat even though I supposedly don't need a base?) to make it work even better for me. "Orange Knockout" is a color that I haven't seen much of elsewhere, so it was one I had to get!

      Delete